If you are looking to rent a car at Barcelona airport the car rental companies have their offices on the ground and on the first floor of terminals 1 and 2 of the airport, very close to the Arrivals Lobby and all are open every day.
The companies have a wide range of cheap cars and extras of all kinds (GPS and Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and WiFi Hotspost, baby car seats, luggage rack, snow equipment and ski rack, etc.), which will allow you to move around the city comfortably. Pick up your car when you arrive at the airport and return it here or at any any authorized office in the city: Barcelona Airport, Sants Station, Paseo de Gracia, Avenida Diagonal, Eixample, etc.
Book the car online and get better prices than in the offices, up to 20% off!.
Car rental desks at Barcelona Airport
Due to the health emergency in Covid-19, the car rental offices may vary their opening hours, as well as their point of service to the public.
Hire a minibus or passenger vans
For many passengers, renting a minibus or van passenger is a very recommended option. You should reserve in advance because in fair and congress time, very common in Barcelona, there is a little supply of people carrier vehicles. These minibuses are these really a very practical and convenient alternative for holidaymakers and long weekends, check the options in transfers page.
Car rental terms & conditions
Car rental terms in Spain depend on the type of vehicle you wish to rent. The minimum requirements of the majority of car rental companies are listed below.
- A credit card. Normally required to make a block on the card for the amount of the deductible and fuel deposit. When returning the car in good condition the amount is refunded to the card.
- Personal identification: D.N.I. or passport for the main driver and for the additional driver if any.
- The driver should be in possession of a driving license with a minimum standing of 1 year. The driving licence must be valid and without any severe penalties, which may legally prohibit the conduction of a vehicle. In case that you do not dispose of a Spanish driving licence, you can also present a valid international driving licence from another country, as long as it is recognised by Spanish law.
- The driving licence must comply with the specifications, required for the rental of a car or lorry.
- Most countries charge an extra tax for drivers, younger than 25 years. If you wish to rent a car in Spain, Península and Balearics, and you are under 25 years, you will have to pay an extra charge within 8 and 25 Euro (VAT included) per rental day and driver, and the amount could to vary depending on the car you rent, 4x4, sport car, van etc. Also the amount could to vary depends of car rental firm. In the Canary Islands could be more expensive.
- For the rental of specific car types, the driver must be older than 25 years.
Insurances and Coverage
Usually, the rental fee includes the basic coverages: for damage to third-parties, damage to the insured vehicle or theft of the vehicle. Please get more information, if you wish to upgrade the basic insurance coverage when you rent your car.
If the car is insured through a franchise agreement, this implies that, in case of any damage, the contracting party has to cover the expenses up to the franchise amount, while the company has to pay everything beyond this sum. In case that you wish to avoid this franchise, you will be asked to pay an extra amount for each rental day.